Thursday, May 21, 2009

Welcome

Here I am. Again.

I didn't mean to be. It hadn't even been bothering me. I remember sitting one night late last year at a table in an outdoor beer garden, a rare night out with the women in my mother's group. There were six or seven of us there. We were drinking wine, and laughing - hooting really, like the tables of nurses or teachers you sometimes see in restaurants, when you look over from your pasta, wishing they would just shut up.

That was us. I remember sitting at that table, and having it occur to me that I didn't have any desire to smoke. It was completely gone. And being filled with this deep contentedness that I had finally kicked it.

And then I brought it back.

I held off the regular smoking for a while this time. I told myself that one here and there didn't count. I wasn't smoking regularly; I wasn't finding myself filled with that smoker's panic; I didn't even think about it during the day.

But I should have just admitted it right away. It might have helped me to remember how it really is: the chronic headaches, the sore gums/chest/throat, the sheer and crippling lethargy. And that awful feeling of lying, when you sneak away from work and hide behind a wall like a naughty teenager, thinking "My God, woman, you are thirty-one years old. You're an IDIOT."

So here I am again. This coming attempt will be the third "real" time I've quit smoking. I'm not counting the three-weekers, the three-dayers and the three-hourers I have put myself through before each of these times, the quit attempts which failed spectacularly and left me wallowing in bruised confidence.

But this time I'm making a deal of it. And I'm going to try to get through this mess of a brain of mine and try to figure out why I do it. It's going to take time.

But it's better to spend sixty days on it and get it right.

8 comments:

  1. I am cheering you on and hope that July (wait...I can't do the math...July, right?) brings the closure you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog. I think all all of us who have tried to quit smoking in the past have gone through a similar situation. We quit and then in that one moment of weakness we are back smoking again. We tell ourselves that 1 cigarette here and there won't hurt, but it does. That 1 cigarette eventually leads us back into our old habits. I wish you the best of luck this time around. As long as you believe you can do, you will do it. Don't fill your mind with doubt or you will fail. I finished my first reading of Alan Carr's book and will read it again when my quit date gets closer. I would be up for comparing notes if you would like to...I just don't know how to go about it. Email would probably be the easiest way, but I don't want to leave my e-mail address here for everyone to read. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it. I know you can.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky. Quitting was pretty easy for me but Frenchie has STRUGGLED with it. This last time he used Champix and it really helped. Now he seems very happy to not be smoking but I remained scared that he will pick it up again.

    Best of luck Meg. I'll be cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes. In my life, cigarettes are like the Lorelei luring me to my death. I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago and promptly remembered the awful feeling of sticky teeth and tired lungs. Of course, I had to smoke the whole pack to make sure I still hated it.

    Best of luck with your endeavor. As they say, don't quit quitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can DO it! I've been quit for over a year now and trust me, I adored it. I still miss it, but you know, what can you do? That crap is TERRIBLE for you.

    Hang in there, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will do it, I know you will. But I know how hard it is, I have had to quit a few times myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck!

    I've been a bloody hopeless serial quitter - it's always been so hideously hard.

    This time I seem to have got lucky. I tried hypnosis and it worked. It's been two months since my last ciggy and it's been easier than I could imagine.

    Feeling great and trying to get pregnant :)

    Stick with it!

    ReplyDelete